Wednesday

BACK-hic IN-hic THE-hic SADDLE-hic

I have taken quite the hiatus, haven't I? I fear that all of my faithful readers - yes all three of you - will have dropped off because of this. I have been extremely busy, but have vowed to continue my quest for genius - MENSA here I come!

I have built up a list of questions throughout my days and have much to research. So let's get on it! Today's question is: what causes hiccups?

A:
A hiccup is an involuntary spasm or contraction of the diaphragm. The diaphragm is the muscle that separates the chest from the abdomen, underneath the ribcage, and has a key function in breathing. The sudden rush of air into the lungs causes the epiglottis to close, creating that "hic" sound. The epiglottis is an elastic cartilage flap attached to the root of the tongue. There are a number of causes of hiccups including: eating a large meal, eating too quickly, drinking alcohol or anything that causes irritation and compression of the diaphragm.

Hiccups usually go away on their own, however there a number of anecdotal remedies including,
scaring the person, drinking water from the wrong side of a cup, standing on your head and altering one's breath. Persistent hiccups lasting more than 48-hours should seek medical treatment.

Sources:
Beyond Biology: Why do people hiccup?
Medical News Today: What are Hiccups?

No comments:

Post a Comment