Monday

Guilty Pleasure


Medieval gardeners believed that the perfume of flowers was God's breath on earth.
~ A Garden of Fragrance
by Suzy Bales

Since moving into my new flat, I have developed a new guilty pleasure - I buy fresh flowers every week. Flowers are obviously not a necessity, but there is something about coming home to a vase full of colourful and fragrant florals that lifts my spirits. It doesn't matter whether I had a bad day, whether my apartment is a wreck, or whether my back is aching, when I walk through the door to see a bouquet in my front hall I have no choice but to smile. Today's question is: can flowers improve mood?

A:
A study conducted in 2005 by Rutgers University showed receiving flowers almost immediately has a positive effect on mood. Researchers found that 100% of women who received flowers smiled with sincerity - confirmed using the Duchenne theory, where specific muscles in the corner of the mouth and eyes are engaged, suggesting genuine emotion. The study also found that the scent of flowers can improve symptoms of depression, anxiety and reduce stress. For many years, various cultures have used flower essences to enhance mood. In 2006, Harvard University conducted a study which demonstrated that individuals with fresh flowers in the home felt less worried and more considerate of others. Additionally, those positive feelings were transferred into the workplace, where they performed more energetically and enthusiastically.

There you have it, I'm not alone when it comes to improving my mood with some flora!


*Note: I took the photos used in this post to document my guilty pleasure.

Sources:

No comments:

Post a Comment