Monday

Doppelgänger

February 1, 2010

For those of you on some obscure social networking site, called Facebook, there has been a trend called doppelgänger going around. Individuals are being encouraged to replace their profile pictures with photos of celebrities that they resemble. Since I have been told that I look like Norah Jones, I participated in this fad and put her picture in place of mine. When I did that, it struck me that we do look quite similar and it led me to think of this past Friday, when a shopkeeper asked me if I was of Indian decent – which is Norah’s ethnicity. Additionally, I had two friends who I have seen recently tell me that I looked fabulous in my new photo. It gave me a good chuckle. Today’s question is: what does doppelgänger mean?

A: Doppelgänger is German meaning double-walker or look-alike, and is defined as a ghostly double of a living person, especially one that haunts its fleshly counterpart. It is used to describe the sensation of having glimpsed oneself in peripheral vision where there is no presence of mirrors. If one’s friends or family spots a doppelgänger it is an omen of illness or death. Generally, doppelgängers are bringers of bad luck.

All I can say is that I hope I never meet Norah Jones. But perhaps we don't look that similar really, it could just be the lost, wide-eyed looks that we both have. What do you think?

Norah Jones

Me

No comments:

Post a Comment