Friday

Reunited at last

February 5, 2010

I have been reunited with my lost love, coffee. The game has ended and I can rejoice in the most delicious Le Gourmand French Roast that I have ever had. My roommate, who –as described in the F.L.A.B.B. entry – has been reunited with her long lost love of Pepsi, described her experience and enjoyment of her first drink. I mentioned that at least my favourite beverage has some health benefits – although all I couldn't come up with any off the top of my head. Today’s question is: what are the health benefits of coffee?


A: Many of coffee's health benefits come from it's antioxidants. Here are five health related facts about my fav hot beverage:

1) At least six studies indicate that people who drink coffee on a regular basis are up to 80% less likely to develop Parkinson's.

2)
Alcohol drinkers who also drink coffee regularly have a lower chance of developing cirrhosis of the liver.

3) A 12-year study on Japanese women found that drinking 3 or more cups of coffee per day may actually halve the risk of developing colon cancer.

4) After a hard workout, a cup or two of coffee has been shown to reduce muscle soreness in women, more effectively than naproxen, aspirin and ibuprofen.

5) Roasted coffee has some antibacterial properties, particularly against Streptococcus mutans, one of the major causes of cavities.


Sources:
http://www.positivelycoffee.org/topic_performance_statement.aspx
http://men.webmd.com/features/coffee-new-health-food
http://www.ecosalon.com/20-surprising-facts-about-coffee/

No comments:

Post a Comment