Wednesday

Chicken Butt for the Soul

This is a story of boy meets girl, but you should know upfront, this is not a love story.
(500) Days of Summer



It's done. I have used nearly all of my coping mechanisms.





  • Cry - Check


  • Sing - Check


  • Nap - Check


  • Watch (500)Days of Summer or Annie Hall - Check


  • Cook - Check
The last point is crucial. I love food. If food tastes good, I do a little dance in my seat. Food soothes my soul and during times when I am in need of soul soothing, there are two dishes that I make - roast chicken or armies of cupcakes.



I have never told anyone why these two things hold such magical powers, but, my dear readers (all 2 of you), I will dispense the rationale here:


Chicken - The first time my ex-husband left me, I experienced the five stages of grief within the first hour. I was an emotional wreck. I was in the anger phase while I was preparing my dinner - a whole chicken. I dressed the chicken with a concoction of herbs, lemon rind and olive oil and out of anger, I stuffed the lemon up that poor chicken's ass.... but somehow I felt instantly better. Since then, whenever I have not been feeling myself, I go out and buy the necessary ingredients to recreate this recipe. (Sometimes, my former roommate could sense my impending mood and, bless her little cotton socks, would bring home a chicken and a lemon!)

Cupcakes - Now, you know that things are really bad when I bake armies of cupcakes... the honeyed infantry is usually deployed when the chicken doesn't do it's duty. Cupcakes are always a long process, where I get an opportunity to work things out in my head. Even if I turn a problem over and over and end up in the same place that I started, I take comfort that mixing flour with butter, eggs, sugar, milk, bicarbonate of soda and an assortment of flavourings will always produce pleasant results.

Last night, there was chicken to be had. As I am only one person, the leftover chicken usually gets turned into sandwiches, pastas and soup. I have read that, in addition to soothing the soul, chicken soup can help to minimize the effects of a cold. Today's question is: are there medicinal properties to chicken soup?






A: In 2000, Dr. Stephen Rennard of the University of Nebraska, studied the medicinal properties of chicken soup. Using his wife's homemade recipe and numerous store bought brands, lab tests indicated that the soup inhibited the movement of neutrophils, the most common type of white blood cell that defends against infection. Dr. Rennard theorizes that by inhibiting the migration of these infection-fighting cells in the body, chicken soup essentially helps reduce upper respiratory cold symptoms.



There are no plans to further the study of chicken soup, which led many scientists to conclude that chicken soup is "folk medicine". However Dr. Rennard says that we cannot discount the "TLC" (tender, loving care) factor. "If you know somebody prepared soup for you by hand, that might have an effect."



None of the chicken soup research is conclusive, and it’s not known whether the changes measured in the laboratory really have a meaningful effect on people with cold symptoms. However, at the very least, chicken soup with vegetables contains lots of healthy nutrients and increases hydration.



I wonder what science has to say about the medicinal properties of stuffing a lemon up a chicken's butt?



Sources:



CNN.com - Health: Chicken Soup is Medicine, US Scientists Confirm



New York Times: The Science of Chicken Soup



Wikipedia: Chicken Soup

No comments:

Post a Comment