Monday

Communication starvation

January 18, 2010

Over the last few days, I have been finding random sticky notes on the subway that have quotes or short poems scrawled on them. The penmanship on them is different, and I’ve found them at different stations, so I assume that they were left there by different people; but I am curious as to where this trend has come from. I have done some Internet research and have not been able to find anything on the subject. This afternoon I made the decision that I would become part of this movement and wrote three quotes about communication on green Post Its with a green pen – signing them all (courtesy of MB). I was a little nervous to leave them, in fear that someone may say something about defacing TTC property – which technically would be unfounded as Post Its are easily removable. So, I held the note in the palm of my hand, and as I stood to get up for my stop, I discretely stuck it to the advert behind me; trying to look as if I was using it to help me stabilize myself. Now it was up to a member of the public to notice it. I tried to imagine the person to read it. As I conjured up the journey of my little sticky on the subway, it made me think of the incident on the London Underground, where a large group of people participated in a “silent disco”. Members of the public were instructed to meet at Victoria Station wearing their MP3 players, and at a specific time, everyone was meant to start dancing. What a sight! I also read an article on the BBC a couple of weeks ago about drop your trousers on the subway day – which as a worldwide phenomenon where people board the subway in their underwear, while acting completely normally. Today’s question is: what is a Flash Mob?



A: A flash mob is a group of people who appear from out of nowhere, to perform predetermined actions for a short amount of time before quickly dispersing. Flash mobs are often organised through text messaging, social networking websites or viral emails.

The first flash mob was organised by Bill Wasik, the senior editor of Harper’s magazine, in May 2003. The target was a Claire’s Accessory Shop in Manhattan, however it was unsuccessful due to an invitee tipping off the police. The second attempt happened on June 3, 2003 at Macy’s department store, where all participants were instructed to meet in the rug department and gather around an expensive rug. More than 100 people attended and provided a back story that they lived together and were looking for a love-rug to anyone who asked questions. Wasik stated that he thought of the idea as “a stunt that would satirize scenester-y gatherings.”

Sources:
Stay Free Magazine: The Short Life of Flash Mobs
Time Magazine: The Mob Rules

Wikipedia: Flash mobs

No comments:

Post a Comment