Friday

Kale Eatery

January 22, 2010

This evening, I met up with a friend I used to work with. I had initially asked if she would like to meet for the usual beer and wings, but she informed me that she was trying to get healthy in the new year. Instead she suggested that we try a new vegan place at Yonge and Eglinton called Kale Eatery. As I live with a vegetarian and love food, I was intrigued to try it - however I'm always left wondering what a vegan would eat. I feared brown rice and seaweed with seitan and tofu balls for dessert. I was pleasantly surprised and dined on delicious nutritional food and absolutely loved the herbal teas that they had on offer. Today's question is: what is a vegan?

A: Veganism is a lifestyle and diet that does not include any animal products. The vegan diet excludes anything that is derived from animals, such as meat, dairy products and even honey. Additionally, they avoid purchasing leather, silk or fur.

Vegan diets include fruits, vegetables, grains, beans/legumes, nuts and seeds.

Sources:
About.com: Vegetarian Food
Vegetarian Resource Group: Veganism in a nutshell

No comments:

Post a Comment