Tuesday

Relationship Revelation

January 19, 2010

This post is actually a derivative from yesterday. I was sitting on the bus when I had a revelation. I've been really down over some of my failed dating attempts – I was seeing someone on and off (emphasis on the off) for a few months. In retrospect I was just a convenient neighbourhood shag to him, more than a potential for a relationship, but I cried a little when it came to an end. More recently, I was being pursued by someone who put on a real effort – songs, and emails, and indoor picnics, and compliments – so much that my head and my heart were swimming. I was scared that I opened myself up so quickly, as my instincts told me to take it slow – I’ve just come out of a five year marriage (and an on-again off-again shagfest) and wanted to gradually develop something more meaningful. However, after all his efforts and my swooning, he confusingly told me that it wasn’t working. I actually felt devastated and wasted tears on him too. I texted my friend with my epiphany and she suggested that I write about it. Today’s question: where did the word epiphany come from?

A: The text conversation went like this:

Me: I can’t believe that I spent a disproportionate amount of tears on someone I went on a few dates with in comparison to someone I spent 8 years with. / He [the most recent guy] treated me to a fantasy world. No one goes from meeting someone to acting the way he did so quickly. It should have been a red flag. / It was too intense. I feel silly for swooning, but it has taught me to move more slowly- just how I initially wanted to.

Her: It happens. But that is a good epiphany.

Her: Yai! You can do an entry on epiphany.

Me: Did you know it was James Joyce who coined that term?

So, I actually cheated a little on this one; I learned the answer before I wrote the question. However, you may be asking yourself, how I know this. I learnt it yesterday as I was doing the readings for my writing class. I came across that little tidbit of information and it stuck in my mind. Although here is a little more research that I did on the subject.

Epiphany is a term used in Christian theology to describe a manifestation of God’s presence. It is also a Christian celebration that happens on January 6th to mark three significant events where God was evident – the baptism of Jesus, the pilgrimage of the Wise Men to Bethlehem and the marriage miracle at Cana.
The word was adapted by James Joyce to denote a sudden revelation where the significance of a social or psychological experience is made clear. Many of Joyce's writings are built around such special moments of sudden insight.

Source:

Answers.com: Epiphany

No comments:

Post a Comment