Tuesday

The Body Electric

February 27, 2010

After a number of attempts at writing a play, I am still unsuccessful. I’m still clinging to the hope that next year will be the year that I can write something that I’m happy with and that will get the approval from the artistic director for production. Yet, for this year, I will stick to what I’m good at – bossing people around. For the third year, I will be directing a one act play for the InspiraTO festival. I think that for my hat trick directing gig, I am familiar with the process. However having taken a year long break, at the Director’s Meeting this morning, I felt a little intimidated. Today’s question is: what are five tips to directing a play?

A:
1) Know the play
Read through and understand the tonality and meaning of the play. Develop a vision for the play, especially how and where the actors will move (blocking), within the limitations of the production.

2) Cast the play well
Audition a number of actors to get a sense of their styles and their understanding of the play. It is useful, if casting more than one character, to have actors audition together to see how they interact onstage. The key point to remember is, the actors must fit into the directorial vision of the play.

3) Set up a rehearsal schedule
Set up a rehearsal schedule outlining the dates, times and goals for each session.

4) Rehearse, rehearse, rehearse
Work with actors with their delivery, to develop characterization and memorization. Directors should coach the actors on vocal development, volume and inflection. Once actors have come “off book” they are able to gesture and move in character. These are the key elements in rehearsing, working toward consistency to the finished production.

5) Technical aspects
Once the actors have a firm grasp of the play, the director can focus on fine tuning the blocking by plotting how the actors move scene by scene. Also this is the time to finalize the lighting and sound to enhance the final product.

Throughout these stages, it is important to remember that the director should be assertive yet inspire creativity and fun from the actors.

I think I’m ready! Bring on The Body Electric!

Sources:
eHow: How to direct a short play
Hellium: Arts and Humanities
Yahoo!Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment