Wednesday

DeLiver

March 2, 2010

Over the last couple of weeks, I have been experiencing some symptoms that I was slightly concerned over – things like major fatigue, some urinary problems amongst other things. I went to the doctor yesterday and had a blood and urine test, as the doctor mentioned that he suspected there may be something wrong with my liver. So there is some speculation on what it is that I actually have, one of the potentials is Gilbert’s syndrome – my roommate’s brother has it and suffers from similar symptoms. Today’s question is: what is Gilbert’s Syndrome?

A: Gilbert’s syndrome is a mild liver disorder in which the liver doesn't properly process a substance called bilirubin. Bilirubin is produced by the breakdown of red blood cells. Gilbert’s syndrome does not normally have serious consequences.

Some frequently reported symptoms include: fatigue, tiredness, brain fog, headaches, poor memory, dizziness, depression, irritability, anxiety, nausea, loss of appetite, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), stomach pain & cramping, liver/gallbladder pain, abdominal pain, tremors, itchiness and jaundice.

Because Gilbert’s syndrome is essentially a mild, harmless condition, it does not require treatment or pose serious complications. The level of jaundice associated with Gilbert’s syndrome is typically harmless as well, and goes away on its own. Gilbert’s syndrome typically does not need long-term monitoring, however a doctor should be consulted if jaundice or other symptoms worsen.

Note: my test results have come back negative for anything, yet I am still experiencing severe fatigue. I have been getting between 7 – 8 hours of sleep, so I should not feel as tired as I do. My doctor has recommended another blood test in month. I will be sure to keep you updated.

Sources:
Gilbert’s Syndrome
Mayo Clinic: Gilbert Syndrome

No comments:

Post a Comment