Thursday

Get me a coffee, quick!

March 18, 2010

After my many Guinness’s and a very late night, I was in desperate need of a coffee. Well, actually, I would have like to throw a sicky, as I was in desperate need of some more sleep and perhaps a big breakfast fry-up. In any case, I complained to someone and they grabbed the nearest person, ordering “Get this woman a coffee, stat.” This got me wondering, I hear medical doctors on telly saying this all the time, and I have deduced what it means, but in any case, today’s question is: what does the word ‘stat’ mean?

A:
The word 'stat' is from the Latin word 'statim', which means immediately. It is more than likely used because modern medication got a good deal of its terminology from Latin, although most modern doctors just use 'now'.

Source:
The Straight Dope

No comments:

Post a Comment